Halifax

LocationEast side of Spring Edge South just north of the footpath that joins the 2 sections of Savile Park.
Side inscription
Side inscription
Front inscriptionIN MEMORY OF
MRS. PRESCOTT
OF SUMMERVILLE
IN THIS TOWN
MARCH, 17 1883
ERECTED BY HER DAUGHTER
End inscriptionTHE “PRESCOTT FOUNTAIN.”
THIS FOUNTAIN WAS PRESENTED BY
MRS LEIGH OF SUMMERVILLE
TO THE CORPORATION OF HALIFAX
IN THE MAYORALTY OF ALFRED RAMSDEN ESQ.
ON THE 12TH DAY OF SEPTEMBER 1884
MDFCTA number1034
Type and sizeSpecial trough/fountain design-16.
Original locationYorkshire. Halifax
Date erectedSeptember 1884
CommentsThis fountain has four taps, two large troughs for horses, and four smaller troughs for dogs. It also had a lamp on top. It was originally in Fountain Street. In 1898, it was moved to King Cross, Calderdale to make way for the construction of the tramway until it was moved for road improvements. On 22nd August 1932, it was moved to Spring Edge where it still stands today. Several other troughs and fountains were donated by Mrs Leigh of Halifax. The design of this special trough/fountain is very similar to structures in Forest Gate and Padiham.