|Location||North side of Leicester Road just east of the corner with Rookery Close. In the car park of the Village Hall.|
|Side inscription||DRINKING FOUNTAIN|
& CATTLE TROUGH ASSOCIATION
70 VICTORIA ST. S.W.
|Type and size||Trough 1c 9ft 6in granite|
|Original location||Leicestershire. Groby|
|Date erected||3 September 1909|
|Comments||Groby village. Presented by MDF&CTA. Removed to be re-erected elsewhere later 1936. According to the Groby Village History. A few years ago a very heavy load was removed from the Old Hall front garden and placed in the car park at the Village Hall. Perhaps you have not noticed it but when this Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough was 'opened' in late summer in 1909, the event brought crowds. There was a parade of horses down Markfield Road to join the many people gathered on the ground in front of the Chaplins, the butchers, that is. Everyone wore their best clothes, the women's hats were remarkable. Note that the word "METROPOLITAN" has been dropped from the Association's title on the inscription.|