Lewes

LocationIn the centre of the south end of Watergate Lane (on the corner of Watergate Lane and Southover Road).
Side inscriptionMETROPOLITAN
DRINKING FOUNTAIN & CATTLE TROUGH
ASSOCIATION
Side inscriptionMETROPOLITAN
DRINKING FOUNTAIN & CATTLE TROUGH
ASSOCIATION
Front inscription
End inscriptionIN MEMORY OF
H.C.C & K.C
JUNE 1912
MDFCTA number1916 (tentative) (originally 0875 and 0776)
Type and sizeTrough 1d 9ft 6in granite
Original locationSussex. Lewes (originally Northumberland Park, Tottenham)
Date erected17 July 1912
CommentsJunction Southover Road & Watergate Lane. Gift of Harry Collison Esq. Cost 50.0.0. The details in the MDFCTA records for this trough match both the year of erection and the donor (Harry Collison). However, the MDFCTA records describe this trough originally as "Northumberland Park No. 1", MDFTCA structure number [0776], erected in Tottenham in May 1881. The exact site was nearly opposite Northumberland Park. This is described as a Reardon memorial with inscription. Removed in consequence of failure of water supply November 1882 and re-sited as "Northumberland Park No. 2". The MDFCTA records describe "Northumberland Park No. 2", MDFTCA structure number [0875], erected in Northumberland Park in November 1882. This is also described as a Reardon memorial with inscription, with the additional comment "removed to Lewes 1912". If the MDFCTA records are correct was the Reardon inscription removed when the trough was moved to Lewes in 1912?