Epsom Downs

LocationOutside the Rubbing House pub (on the east side). The Rubbing Hose pub is on Langley Vale road just south of the tunnel under the racetrack.
Side inscriptionCICERO
Side inscriptionCICERO
Front inscription
End inscription
MDFCTA number1705
Type and sizeTrough 1d 9ft 6in granite
Original locationEpsom, Surrey. Near Grandstand
Date erected28 June 1906
CommentsErected by Lord Rosebury in the walls of his Lordship’s ground. Inscription “Cicero”. The trough was erected as a memorial to Cicero, the Epsom Derby winner of 1905. He was ridden to victory by the American jockey Daniel Maher, having been the pre-race favourite at odds of 11–4. Cicero’s owner was Lord Rosebery, who also won the Derby with two other horses. Lord Rosebery died at The Durdans, his home near the racecourse, on May 21, 1929. The trough originally stood at The Durdans, but in 2005 it was renovated and moved to the Rubbing House pub next to the racecourse.