Carlton Hill (modern replacement)

LocationNorth side of Carlton Hill just east of the corner with Maida Value (almost on the north-east corner of Maida Vale and Carlton Hill).
Side inscriptionDRINKING FOUNTAIN AND CATTLE TROUGH
Side inscriptionDRINKING FOUNTAIN AND CATTLE TROUGH
Front inscription
End inscriptionPROPERTY OF WCC
MDFCTA numberThis trough is a modern replacement for number 1174
Type and sizeThe original structure was a 1d 9ft 6in granite trough
Original locationThe original structure was erected at St. Marylebone. Carlton Hill
Date erectedThe original structure was erected on April 1888
CommentsThe original trough was a gift of Mrs Forsyth, cost 51, but was stolen in February 2003. If you know what happened to the original lost cattle trough please send me details. The current structure supplied in 2005 by Westminster City Council is a modern, non-functioning replacement with a faux fountain head. According to Westminster City Council: "Residents' joy as missing trough is replaced (26/01/2005). Through twenty-two prime ministers, six monarchs and three centuries, it stood at the roadside, an enduring symbol of resilience. Then, one night, the two-tonne granite cattle trough was stolen, baffling police and dismaying local historians and residents. But now neighbours in Carlton Hill, Maida Vale, who for two years had to put up with seeing its four bare stone supports every day - a constant reminder of the callous theft, are celebrating after Westminster City Council installed an exact replica. And the 5,000 replacement has been greeted with joy. Cllr Judith Warner, member for Abbey Road ward, which encompasses Carlton Hill, said: 'This is fantastic news. People on Carlton Hill grew to love that cattle trough. Even the most elderly residents would not remember a time when it wasn't there. When it was stolen, there was a palpable sense of loss. It was a piece of history and represented a link with a time almost forgtten.' The cattle trough was first installed in 1888 as a gift to Westminster by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association with the Council accepting responsibility for maintenance. When the 116-year-old main section was stolen in February 2003, leaving only the bottom tray and the supporting plinth, police at Paddington Green Station launched an investigation. But the thieves have so far escaped justice. During the two years that followed the Council's Highways Management Group looked for a replacement with the help of Drinking Fountain Association. After lengthy negotiations & discussions one was found and was installed last month. Cllr Warner added: 'Now that the trough is complete again, people feel much happier. Without it there was a feeling something was missing. It is wonderful that the Council's Highways Management Group are so in tune with how much these things mean to local people.'"