Victoria Tower Gardens

LocationNear the centre of Victoria Tower Gardens one the east side of Millbank.
InscriptionERECTED IN 1835 (sic)
BY
CHARLES BUXTON M.P.
IN COMMEMORATION OF
THE EMANCIPATION OF SLAVES 1834
AND IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER
SIR T. FOWELL BUXTON
AND THOSE ASSOCIATED WITH HIM
WILBERFORCE,CLARKSON,MACAULAY, BROUGHAM
DR LUSHINGTON AND OTHERS
InscriptionTHIS PLAQUE
COMMEMORATES THE
150TH ANNIVERSARY OF
THE ANTI SLAVERY SOCIETY
1839-1989
MDFCTA number0049
Type and sizeFountain and dog trough, granite, stone and iron
Original locationSt Margarets end of Great George Street
Date erected1863
CommentsThe Buxton Memorial Fountain. Cost 2000.0.0. Transferred to care of association when erected. Dog trough fixed at stand point close to fountain July 1884. This fountain originally stood in Greate George Street by Parliament Square. It was moved to its present site in 1957. The fountain was erected in 1865 so why does the modern inscription describe the original date as 1835?