Clapham Common

LocationNorth-east corner of Clapham Common
InscriptionTHE GIFT OF
THE UNITED
KINGDOM
TEMPERANCE
& GENERAL
PROVIDENT
INSTITUTION
Inscription1884
MDFCTA number1338
Type and sizeFountain special design. Granite and bronze figure
Original locationThe fountain formerly stood at Adelaide Place, City of London.
Date erected28 October 1884
CommentsThe United Kingdom Temperance & General Provident Institution Drinking Fountain was originally unveiled at Adelaide Place, City of London by the northern approach to London Bridge. The sculptor was August von Kreling. The architect was Charles Barry (junior). Within a few years, the great weight of this fountain caused structural problems in the vaulting of the warehouses beneath the road and the United Kingdom Temperance & General Provident Institution had no alternative but to have the fountain removed. They presented it to the LCC, who re-erected it on its present site at Clapham Common in August 1895.