Brentford Fountain

LocationHayes Road, Western International Market
InscriptionTHE GIFT OF MRS WHEELER
THE WIDOW OF
SAMUEL WHEELER ESQ
FORMERLY OF
BARROW HILLS CHERTSEY SURREY
AND
BRUNSWICK TERRACE BRIGHTON
1877
ERECTED BY THE
METROPOLITAN
DRINKING FOUNTAIN & CATTLE TROUGH
ASSOCIATION
MDFCTA number0558
Type and sizeFountain, 2 cattle troughs and 2 sheep troughs. Special design-28, granite
Original locationBrentford side of Kew Bridge
Date erectedJuly 1877
CommentsThe full structure originally had 2 cattle troughs in addition to the elaborate fountain. It was erected at the request of Mrs. Wheeler, 18 Eccleston Square in 1877 as a memorial to her late husband, Samuel Wheeler at a cost of 1600. In 1907, Brentford Urban council removed the trough facing Kew bridge to allow for a public lavatory. The trough was re-erected somewhere in Uxbridge in 1910. In September 1953 the remaining trough and the fountain were removed by the Borough of Brentford and Chiswick from the junction of Kew Bridge & Kew Bridge Road. The fountain was moved to Brentford Market then relocated again to the Western International Market.