Royal Exchange Fountain

LocationOn the south side of Threadneedle Street at the north-end of Royal Exchange Buildings.
InscriptionERECTED 1878
AT THE EXPENSE OF
JOHN WHITTAKER ELLIS ESQ. ALDERMAN
WILLIAM HARTRIDGE ESQ. DEPUTY
SUPPLEMENTED BY A VOTE IN WARDMOTE
InscriptionALSO BY DONATIONS FROM
THE DRAPERS' COMPANY AND THE MERCHANT TAYLORS' COMPANY
InscriptionDALOU
1879
MDFCTA number0692
Type and sizeFountain and dog trough design 114. Granite, marble and bronze
Original locationRoyal Exchange Avenue opposite the Peabody Statue
Date erectedSeptember 1879
CommentsCost £940.0.0. The gift of Alderman Ellis and the Broad Street Ward. The fountain was commissioned by John Whittaker Ellis Esq. and William Hartridge Esq. - The Drapers' Company and the Merchant Tailors' Company. The sculptor of La Maternité was Jules Dalou. The original marble group was altered by weathering and was replaced by the present inferior copy in bronze in 1897.