St. Sepulchre without Newgate church

LocationIn the railings of St. Sepulchre church on the north-east corner of Holborn Viaduct/Newgate Street and Giltspur Street.
InscriptionTHE GIFT OF SAML GURNEY M.P. 1859
InscriptionTHE FIRST
METROPOLITAN
PUBLIC DRINKING
FOUNTAIN
ERECTED ON
HOLBORN HILL
IN 1859 AND
REMOVED WHEN THE
VIADUCT WAS
CONSTRUCTED IN
1867.
InscriptionREPLACE THE CUP
MDFCTA number0001
Type and sizeFountain and dog trough, marble and brick.
Original locationHolborn Hill, subsequently moved to the railings of St Sepulchres Church Giltspur Street.
Date erectedJune 1859
CommentsThe gift of Mr S. Gurney MP. This was the first fountain erected in London and was removed in October 1867 when Holborn Viaduct was constructed. Re-erected November 1913 as near as possible to original site. Although, famously, this is the first drinking fountain erected by the (then) Metropolitan Free Drinking Fountain Association it was almost never replaced on public display. When Holborn Viaduct was built it was moved to the house of Lt. Col. H.R.Harrison at 20 Hanover Terrace, N.W. in 1867. He refused to part with it until November 1913 when it was returned as close as possible to the original site. This is MDFCTA structure [0001]. MDFCTA structure [0002] is very close by.